What to Do in the Month of Sha’ban
The month of Sha’ban is a great month; it falls between Rajab and Ramadan. And as such, it is recommended that we should devote ourselves to engage in extra devotions.
It has been reported by the Companions that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to fast in the month of Sha’ban more than any other month (except Ramadan). As mentioned by scholars, it is a preparation for Ramadan. Here are some of the tips to follow in order to seize the blessings of Sha`aban-as can be gleaned from the observations of as-salaf as-salih (the pious ancestors) or pious predecessors:
- Fasting is highly recommended in this month, especially in the first half of Sha’ban. However, we should stop fasting as we get closer to Ramadan. In this way, we stay away from joining the fasting of Sha’ban with that of Ramadan.
- Reading of the Qur’an is another great virtue to practice. Some of the salaf called this month as the month of recitations.
- Engaging in dhikr and establishing consistency in it is highly rewarding.
- We may do well to use the time to brush up on our knowledge of Ramadan and the rules and adab (teachings) of fasting of Ramadan.
- Last but not least, let us pray to Allah in the manner of some of the pious elders, who used to pray: “O Allah, bless us in the months of Rajab and Sha’ban and take us to Ramadan.” (Reported as a Prophetic hadith from by At-Tabarani from Anas)
November 01, 2013
October 14, 2013
August 10, 2013